Saturday, March 10, 2012

Spinning Saturday,Southern Adirondack Spinning Guild

Today is the monthly meeting for the Southern Adirondack Spinning Guild. We meet the 2nd Saturday of each month at The Yarn Shop at Fosters Sheep Farm in Schuylerville, NY.  The Guild is a chance for spinners to get together and share their love of spinning fibers with others. There is always a show and tell where members can display their spun fiber, knitting, weaving, crochet , felting, rug hooking, whatever project  that is being worked on or completed. 
New members are always welcome as are new spinners.
 I always look forward to these meetings. There is a enormous amount of talent in this area of NY. The projects brought in completed and the spinning being done is exceptional. I started spinning almost a year ago. My skills have been greatly enhanced by the guidance I have received from the members of this guild. I started with the usual thick one ply and now can produce an acceptable thin single ply that when plyed together knits up nice.

My newest fiber to tackle is 100% silk in a hankie.This is what the hankies look like, they come in layers.

You need to separate them. If you can see through one than you know that you have only one. They are very delicate and light.

Be sure that your hands are not dry, as they tend to catch on anything rough. I have been moisturizing my hands at night. You don't want to use lotion right before handling as you will have the opposite effect , the silk with not move freely through your fingers.
I gently tugged on each end of the hankie before spinning to predraft. These were dyed so I want to keep the colors  in a sequence. If undyed then you would poke hole in center then pull apart from the inside.
It is spinning up nicely.
I will be taking this today as it is already on my spinning wheel. Once plied it should be a beautiful blue. 

Off to do my sheep chores and get ready for guild.

And even though most of techie devices do this, I still always forget the house clocks, which can cause some confusion (mostly on my part)




No comments:

Post a Comment